Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

how does my garden grow

in the shade now, thanks to it being cool enough (30C ish) for me to get stuck into building a shade house for my herbs.

I've been pondering this for a while.  There has been a bare piece of bordered earth that i have tried to keep weed free - sort of successfully, and grow herbs in boxes in  - successful for a little while.  But it is so hot here and everything drys out so fast that it is hard to maintain fragile vegetables and herbs.  so shade was required if I was to attempt again.

I thought of a few options and in the end went with a construction of chicken wire, stakes and shade cloth, with a neat brush screen up against the fence to keep it contained.


I'm still planting in boxes to keep it simple and have put in some pine bark to help maintain the moisture in the area and protect/cover the weed mat.  Of course I will only be here for a couple more months but hopefully it is strong enough construction that it stays and is useful for the luck people who live in the church after me.

I've planted seeds - parsley, basil, coriander, thyme, chilli,  & rocket.  there are a few tiny leaves starting to show - fingers crossed.

No comments: